Join our family of supporters and volunteers!
There are many ways you can be a part of UpBeat NYC. Donations come in all shapes and sizes: from musical instruments to your talent and passion for passing on the gift of music. We value and appreciate it all.
Administrative Volunteer or Internship
Pasantía o Voluntariado Administrativo
UpBeat NYC is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization providing free music programming to South Bronx children and youth. UpBeat NYC uses the pursuit of musical excellence and ensemble performance to bring about positive change in the lives of South Bronx children.
Why volunteer for Upbeat?
- We actively seek to recruit those often excluded due to economic and social barriers. We believe that all children have a right to music education.
- The volunteer position will be a vocational opportunity to explore and acquire invaluable skills related to individual giving, communications, database management and other professional fields in the area of arts management.
- We believe in creating an environment that is warm and fully supportive of the members of our team, assisting them in possible connections for future opportunities and mentoring them in other aspects of professional life.
- UpBeat is open to partnering with schools to qualify volunteers for college credit.
Responsibilities (Training and full support will be provided):
- Database management (Salesforce): Pulling reports (eg. a list of students based on a specific instrument) and updating records (emails, phone numbers, student status).
- Assist communication efforts with parents during class registration, concerts and special events.
- Assist with checklists that track the status of all communication efforts with parents and prospective parents on an ongoing basis.
- Support in communications with prospective candidates for the upcoming fall session.
- Flyer creation, social media and website management.
- Other clerical duties as needed.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Current undergraduate or graduate student
- Interest in Nonprofit Management and/or Social Entrepreneurship
- Attention to detail
- Open communication
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Schedule commitment (although the schedule is flexible)
- Computer dexterity
Experience with the following a plus but not required:
- Graphic design (beginner level)
- Numbers user (MAC)
Schedule and Location:
We are looking for a minimum of a two-month commitment with a range of two to three days a week (from Monday through Thursday). A day of work can range from 3 to 4 hours.
Depending on the volunteer, possible locations will be the:
Primarily: Mott Haven New York Public Library, or in any New York Public Library (Seward Park Library in Lower Manhattan preferably).
Between July 9-20: Tercera Iglesia Bautista (322 Alexander Ave)
To apply, please submit your resume along with ONE of the following:
a cover letter detailing your interest in this position
a link to a project/piece of work you are proud a 30-second audio/video clip of why you are interested in this position
Equal Opportunity Employment and Commitment to Diversity
UpBeat NYC believes it is critical for leaders to reflect the urban communities they serve. We actively recruit women and people of color to join our team. We support equal opportunity for all people.