We're Hiring a String Ensemble Leader!
Position: Children's String Ensemble Leader/String Coordinator
Start Date: September, 2021
Location: South Bronx, New York, NY
Description: Community music education program for underserved NYC children
**Please note that this role is an anticipated opening for the 2021-22 school year (the ideal candidate will be able to begin planning work during the summer months) ***
What we are looking for
UpBeat NYC is looking for a lead string teaching artist to join our team of instructors dedicated to working with young people in the South Bronx. This instructor will lead UpBeat’s beginner and junior string ensembles (violin, viola, cello and bass; ages 6-12). Other teaching responsibilities may include music theory classes, group instrumental classes and/or private lessons. The instructor will implement curriculum in collaboration with UpBeat’s Program Coordinator, directors and other UpBeat music faculty, and will uphold UpBeat’s philosophy to build community and support each child holistically. The ideal candidate has expertise in one or two of the above string instruments.
About UpBeat NYC
UpBeat NYC operates a dynamic community music center that develops social and musical skills through early childhood music classes, private lessons, ensemble playing, peer-mentoring, and public performance. The program is designed to provide intensive musical engagement throughout participants' early childhood, adolescent and young adult years. Instruments offered include strings, winds, percussion & piano, and repertoire encompasses many genres from a variety of cultures. All activities and instruments are provided free of charge.
- • Plan and implement high-quality, dynamic, and engaging ensemble classes that support the development of beginner and intermediate young musicians.
- • Regularly communicate with parents to understand each child holistically.
- • Encourage critical thinking and creativity.
- • Regularly assess the students and the curriculum, adapting content and instruction as
- appropriate, and communicating assessment results to parents.
- • Effectively implement a curriculum that supports UpBeat’s philosophy of music education and social justice.
- • Help develop and implement curriculum in collaboration with other teachers, UpBeat directors and program coordinator.
- • Plan and lead meetings with the UpBeat string faculty (currently a team of 7) to coordinate implementation of string curriculum and goal setting.
- • Lead with fairness, authority and grace.
- • Bring and foster a joyful spirit among teachers, students and families.
- • Attend all faculty and staff meetings, required special events and concerts.
- • Love for working with children and youth.
- • Love for singing and moving with children.
- • Patience and flexibility.
- • Inspirational and musical.
- • Knowledgeable of string repertoire from a variety of cultures and genres.
- • Knowledgeable and committed to implementing a string curriculum that includes repertoire by composers from traditionally underrepresented groups.
- • Has a creative and flexible interest in collaboratively coordinating a team of teachers to implement curriculum.
- • Spanish language skills are highly preferred.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a part-time non-exempt position in a community-based afterschool program which operates weekdays throughout the school year with a two-week summer session typically in July. The position will require leading ensembles, instrumental classes and/or lessons on-site at our South Bronx program location three or more days per week. Other regular and irregular commitments include faculty and staff meetings, special events and concerts throughout the year. Approximately 15-20 hours per week, divided between teaching and other responsibilities.
Education and Experience:
- • Bachelor’s degree in a music related field.
- • Training in string pedagogy for children and youth
- • Minimum five years music teaching experience
- • Expertise teaching groups and leading ensembles
- • Expertise in teaching absolute beginners a plus
- • Experience working with communities similar to UpBeat's
Commensurate with experience.
Equal Opportunity Employment
UpBeat NYC believes it is critical for leaders to reflect the urban communities they serve. We actively recruit women and people of color to join our team. We support equal opportunity for all people.
How to apply
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. We also accept letters of recommendation and video samples of your teaching at this stage in the hiring process though they are not required.