Children's String Class Instructor
Position: Children's String Class Instructor
Start Date: October, 2018
Location: South Bronx, New York, NY
Description: Community music education program for underserved NYC children
Time Period: October-June 2018-19 plus 2 week summer session in July (with opportunityto continue the position) 2-3 days/week, 4-8 hours/week
- Lead beginner string classes twice/week for children ages 5-9.
- Coordinate with other string teachers regarding teaching philosophy, pedagogy, classroom management.
- Work directly with parents during classes training them to assist with their children's at-home practice.
- Extensive teaching experience in Suzuki violin pedagogy with groups of young children
- Experience teaching box string instrument initiation classes highly preferred
- Experience working collaboratively
- Enthusiastic, flexible, patient and positive demeanor
- Fluent Spanish highly preferred
- Familiarity with philosophies of social justice in music education
We are particularly interested in bringing on a string class instructor who is experienced in developing musical expression and musical literacy with young children employing singing, movement and an overall method like Kodaly.
This position requires a high level of commitment to UpBeat's mission of social justice through musical experience and music education. Please apply only if music education is your career path of choice. There may be a need for this position to grow in responsibility and salary and we are therefore seeking candidates serious about continuing as a long-term staff member.
Equal Opportunity Employment and Commitment to Diversity
UpBeat NYC believes it is critical for leaders to reflect the urban communities they serve. We actively recruit women and people of color to join our team. We support equal opportunity for all people.
How to apply:
Submit by email a resume and brief introduction highlighting your teaching experience to email@example.com. Please indicate “Children’s String Class Instructor” in the subject line of email. Resumes submitted without an introduction will not be considered.We also accept letters of recommendation at this stage in the hiring process though they are not required.